Wondering which destination to visit for your safari in Kenya between Masai Mara and Amboseli? We will be looking at both of them highlighting their features that will allow you to make an informed decision on which one to visit
1. Masai Mara Game Reserve
The Masai Mara is an expansive savannah of grassland, woodland and rivers. It is the largest game reserve in Kenya and one of the most popular tourist destinations in Africa. The population of the Masai Mara is around 30,000 Maasai pastoralists.
The Masai Mara National Reserve was established in 1961 to protect the dwindling number of wild animals in East Africa. The reserve covers an area of 594 square kilometres (228 sq mi). Masai Mara safaris are a popular tourist attraction for visitors from all over the world.
The world famous wildebeest migration in Masai Mara is a seasonal phenomenon where the animals migrate from Serengeti to Masai Mara and back. It typically starts around July and ends in October.
The wildebeest migration is an important event for the ecosystem of the region that sees millions of animals move in search of pastures.
The population of wildebeests changes depending on the availability of food, water, and space which in turn affects other species of animals that depend on them for survival.
1.1 Why Should You Visit Masai Mara?
- It’s home to over 400 species of animals, including the Big 5. It is also home to the Maasai people, who live in the region.
- The Masai Mara has a diverse ecosystem and attracts tourists from all over the world for its safari tours and beautiful landscapes.
- Its the only place you will get to witness the great wildebeest migration in Kenya.
- There are many camps and lodges located within Masai Mara so accomodation will not be hard to get.
- The Masai Mara National Reserve has more wildlife than Amboseli National Park because it’s a larger area with more animals living there.
1.2 The Best Time to Visit Masai Mara National Park?
That depends on a number of factors. Want to see the great wildebeest migration? Then the best time to visit is the months of but be aware that accomodation rates are higher because of the increased demand.
1.3 Masai Mara Safari Packages
We offer different Masai Mara safari packages to assist you get the best experience of your safari in Kenya. We offer
- 2 Days Masai Mara camping safari packages – You can fly or travel by road to Masai Mara
- 3 days Masai Mara packages – Travel by road or flight to Masai Mara. Stay in camps or lodges depending on your budget
- 4 days Masai Mara & Lake Nakuru package – Get to visit Masai Mara and Lake Nakuru. Stay at camps or lodges. You can opt for a hot air balloon at Masai Mara. See the costs involved.
2. Amboseli National Park
Amboseli Amboseli National Park is situated in the southern part of Kenya. It is the second largest national park in Kenya.
The park was established on July 1, 1948 and is managed by the Kenya Wildlife Service. The park covers an area of 2,650 square kilometers. It was established to provide protection to animals and ecosystems from hunting and other human activities.
It has a diverse range of ecosystems which include acacia woodland, grassland, marshy areas and dry evergreen forests with a wide variety of wildlife species including elephants, leopards and cheetahs.
2.1 Why Visit Amboseli National Park
- Amboseli National Park is home to the highest number of elephants in the world. Amboseli has been described as “the best place in Africa for elephant viewing” by Lonely Planet and “one of the best-kept secrets on the planet” by National Geographic Traveler magazine.
- One can find an abundance of wildlife at Amboseli, including elephants, lions, leopards and cheetahs. There are also many different species of birds and plants that can be found here.
- It can take half the amount of time to get there from Nairobi, Kenya’s capital compared to Masai Mara.
- There is prolific birdlife found here. Get to see crakes, pelicans, hammerkops and the rare Madagascar squacco.
2.2 Best Time To Visit Amboseli National Park
The dry season, from June to October, is widely recognized as the leading time to see wildlife in Amboseli; with little rain, wildlife retreats to the park’s swamplands, where groundwater from Kilimanjaro wells up year-round.
2.3 Amboseli Safari Packages
Our Amboseli safari packages offer a range of safaris that are tailored to different needs and budgets. We have safaris that are ideal for families, honeymooners, photographers and adventure seekers.
Kenya offers many different safari experiences for visitors. There are vast plains, lush forests, open savannahs, dense rainforests and sandy beaches that offer visitors a glimpse into the vast array of wildlife that can be found in Kenya. Visitors can explore Kenya’s national parks on foot or by vehicle as well as take boat trips down the rivers or go on walking safaris.
Your visit to Kenya will be a memorable one that you wont regret